The U.K. stock market experienced positive momentum on Tuesday, as the FTSE 100 Index UKX surged by 1.82% to reach a value of 7,628.21.
Top Performers of the FTSE 100
Some notable companies within the FTSE 100 constituents experienced significant increases in their stock prices on Tuesday:
- Ocado Group PLC (OCDO) – Shares of this food retail company surged by 6.69%.
- Anglo American PLC (AAL) – A general mining firm that witnessed a rise of 5.63% in its shares.
- Flutter Entertainment PLC (FLTR) – This gambling industries company saw a 5.17% increase in its stock price.
Other notable performers included Antofagasta PLC (ANTO) and Intermediate Capital Group PLC (ICP), with their stocks rising by 4.48% each.
Major Decrease in Stock Price
Unfortunately, Spirax-Sarco Engineering PLC (SPX) experienced the largest decrease among the FTSE 100 constituents, with its shares falling by 2.01% on Tuesday.
Other Notable Movements
Some other companies within the FTSE 100 showed modest increases:
- Dechra Pharmaceuticals PLC (DPH) – A pharmaceuticals firm whose stock price increased by 0.05%.
- Halma PLC (HLMA) – A precision products company that saw a rise of 0.18% in its shares.
On the other hand, Shell PLC (SHEL) and Smiths Group PLC (SMIN) endured decreases in their stock prices, with rallies of 0.53% and 0.83% respectively.
Currency and Commodity Markets
In currency markets, the pound showed strength against the dollar, recording a 0.40% increase to $1.2288. However, it experienced a slight dip of 0.08% against the euro, reaching €1.1572.
Brent crude dropped by 0.8% to reach $87.42, while the yield on the 10-year gilt fell by 5.000 basis points to 4.433%.